Display ads are a popular form of paid advertising that many companies use. These types of ads appear at the top, on the side, and in the middle of web content on almost every website or social media channel, and can, in fact, reach over 90% of the global internet audience.
The business value of display ads versus search ads such as Google Adwords is often debated. The main difference between display and search ads is intent. The display network creates demand while search ads are presented as solutions to problems based on specific search phrases.
Digital display advertising offers far more than brand awareness and reach. The most common channels include the Google Display Network and Social Advertising via Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Linkedin.
The potential role of display advertising is ultimately determined by your business objectives, the offer and your addressable market. AI-enabled ad platforms can do most of the heavy lifting and are now able to identify the most effective combination of channels to maximise ROI.
We recommend that you consider integrating display advertising to your digital marketing strategy when it aligns with your business strategy. For example;
- You want to laser focus your target marketing by specific “postcode” regions, personal interests or reach specific “personas”
- Your search PPC costs are too high and you need to find another way to compete online
- Your product and service is innovative or niche and may not easily be discovered by keyword searches or phrases
- You need to create demand and influence your addressable market or your products can be purchased on impulse
- You want to retarget your website visitors with display ad offers
For display ads to be effective, you will, of course, need to have a compelling offer on the ad (or video) and direct your “clicks” to high performing landing pages that convert.
If you would like to learn more, you can download an overview here.